Monday, January 12, 2015

Thinking about thinking!

Those who are dominated by the sinful nature think about sinful things, but those who are controlled by the Holy Spirit think about things that please the Spirit. So letting your sinful nature control your mind leads to death. But letting the Spirit control your mind leads to life and peace. (Romans 8:5-6 NLT)

          What do you fill your mind with? How often would God be happy about your thoughts? How often are your thoughts of God?

          Sadly my answers aren't that great. My thoughts often prove how much a sinner I really am. But, my goal for the year is to draw closer to God and that starts with my thoughts. Rick Warren said "God is more concerned with your thoughts than your circumstances". I really thought that was a rather interesting comment. The more I pondered it the more sense it made. It just shows how far I still need to go in my Christian walk because I think more of my circumstances than my thoughts. Just look at my prayers to confirm that. But, I think that can be another part of my goal for 2015 -- I want to work on my thought life more than my life circumstances. I need to pray more about God helping me align my thoughts to his. I need to change my thoughts about others. I need to change my thoughts about myself. If I fill my mind with sinful thoughts, I will sin. If I fill my mind with the Holy Spirit, I will live a live that leads to peace. 

Dear Lord, 
          You know my thoughts. You know the battle inside of me, in my mind, that leads me to choose sin over you. I pray Lord that you will direct my thoughts to you. I pray you will clear my mind of thoughts that are not pleasing to you so that I have more room for thoughts which make you smile! Thank you Lord for your patience. Thank you Lord for your involvement in my life. 

No comments: