Friday, January 2, 2015

Don't make a New Years resolution

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. (Romans 12:2 NIV)

Don't make a New Years resolution. The entire world, it seems, take the next few days to make new commitments for the year. In just a few short weeks, they will be forgotten. My second grade granddaughter gets it. When asked if she was going to set a goal or make a resolution, she said "I think I'll just surprise myself!" I love it. We will not be transformed by these commitments. We will do it all over again next year. We will laugh off our inability to follow through, and repeat this process forever. Let's break the cycle. If you want to start brand new, if you really want to change your life, right now, renew your mind!

I started a new 6 week bible study with Rick Warren. Transform. The first verse is Romans 12:2.

In order to change our lives we need to reach the point we recognize the need for the change. It has to drive us to change. If you don't really feel the need to lose weight, you won't. Losing weight is hard. It take commitment. It takes a strong mental toughness. If you want to grow closer to God in 2015, it takes a renewing of your mind. You need to WANT the change. You can't get past the tough first three weeks without a real desire to renew. You have to see the patterns of your life as needing change. Once you get to that real desire, then and only then can you make the first steps to lasting renewal.

So what are you resolving to do in 2015. For me, I want to strengthen my closeness with God. I want to respond to more of the calling of the Holy Spirit. I don't want to just blog, or talk about God. I want to act. In order to do this I need to renew and step up my commitment to prayer, study, and worship. I can't change my commitment without changing my mind. I need to feed my mind more things of God and fewer things of this world. I need to replace my time surfing the Internet with searching for God.  I need to spend less time watching tv and spending more time studying his word. Your, our, first resolution for 2015 should be the renewing of our mind, filling it with the things of God. All else is meaningless.

Don't make a New Years resolution that ignores God. Put him in the enter of all your commitments and you will truly be transformed physically, mentally,and spiritually. 

No comments: