Wednesday, January 14, 2015

ME

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. (Philippians 2:3-4 NIV)

The number one problem on our planet is selfishness. It shows up in all parts of our lives. Politicians are more worried about getting re-elected than serving the needs of their constituents. Business leaders are more interested in the bottom line than their employees. Churches are more worried about their survival and filling more seats than preaching the truth. It is against culture to put others ahead of yourself. But that is exactly what we need to do. That is exactly what I must do. 

How much of your life is focused on others and how much is focused on yourself? How much of a Servant are you? In order to draw closer to my creator, I have to act like him. I need to share his priorities and I need to model his focus. Jesus was focused on others. He never put himself first. He was the ultimate servant and I need to model that to my students, colleagues, family, and friends. I have said it so many times, in this blog, "It's not about me but about bringing Jesus into the lives of other people through my life."

The best place to start thinking of others first is in my prayer life. To draw closer to God, I need to pray more about others and less about myself. It's not easy, but o have noticed when I am really more focused, closer to God, my prayers become less selfish. May that be my life in 2015 and beyond.

No comments: