Thursday, January 8, 2015

Bad examples!

I love you, Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I called to the Lord, who is worthy of praise, and I have been saved from my enemies. The cords of death entangled me; the torrents of destruction overwhelmed me. The cords of the grave coiled around me; the snares of death confronted me. In my distress I called to the Lord; I cried to my God for help. From his temple he heard my voice; my cry came before him, into his ears. (Psalm 18:1-6 NIV)

A big issue in schools the last several years is "Bullying". Parents, teachers, administrators, legislators, and clergy have all identified this as a huge problem. It's serious. Young people have been losing their lives because of relentless verbal and sometimes physical abuse from other students. It's disgusting and everyone has a plan. But, I think we are missing one key factor contributing to teenage bullying. I never hear this as a source of this undefendable character flaw. 

Adults are teaching young people how to bully. 

The same parents, teachers, administrators, legislators, and clergy that are outraged at the way young people treat each other, do the same thing to other adults. Sure they do it in the name of politics, religion, or values, but they literally bully anyone who disagrees with them. We just aren't nice to each other. As I heard Rick Warren say, we have lost all civility. He said "Little people belittle people." How true, how true, how true! So many people thrive on intimidation and threats. Social media and emails are the primary tools. It's so easy to be mean to someone when you don't have to look them in the eyes. It's cowardice to hide behind social media or emails. I have been a victim and I am sure many of you have as well.

Don't we realize the kids of this generation are learning from their adult mentors. We can't stand people who are different than us, disagree with us, live different than us, or worship different than us. I do NOT exempt Christians from this group. Many times we are the least loving and tolerant people on the planet. We justify it by the same message we should be using to denounce it. We can tolerate with out endorsing. We can love the sinner without loving the sin. Instead we attack, abuse, and belittle. It's not going to win people to the kingdom.

Dear Lord, we/I must change. I need to be more loving and accepting of all people. I need to love more and more, especially with this in opposition of you Lord. Slapping then in the face isn't going to bring them to your throne. Embracing them with humility and love with a blind eye and accepting heart will open doors that will lead to salvation. Stop Bullying! Stop it now!


No comments: