Monday, January 26, 2015

Riches!

“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. (Matthew 6:19-21 NIV)

I struggle with these verses. I really think I have a lot of stuff. I have quite a few things vulnerable to rust, moths, and vermin. By the standard of the world, I am rich, or wealthy, or any other adjective you can come up with. But, everything is relative. I don't feel like I have a lot of excesses. I live in a moderate home, I have two vehicles that aren't extravagant. I have clothes that were purchased using good stewardship. I don't waste money on fancy restaurants. I have taken some nice vacations. But even those were done so in a very frugal manner. I give to church, charities, and ministries in a very positive way. So, am I rich, am I violating the tenants of these verses? Ultimately it's a question only God can answer and in order to make sure my priorities are correct, I need to be in constant prayer about my finances and my budget. 

I am comfortable and I know I have God to thank for those blessings. I also know what it's like to suffer financially. I have learned tough lessons with my own spending. God has been teaching. I am listening. But, it might sound cliche, I really own nothing. God owns it all. I have been blessed with it all, not for me and my own statisfaction, but for his glory. You are the same way. If you have a lot or you have a little, you are expected to use it for his kingdom. Once I lose sight of God in my daily spending and finances, all the things I have become nothing more than rust. So, I promise Lord, to keep you in the middle of all I do in 2015. I will use my resources for your kingdom, Lord, not my own joy. 

Dear Lord, I am humbled by how you have blessed me and my family. It has been a road filled with challenges but I've always been aware of your presence. Thank you Lord! I give you all that I have physically and spiritually. I praise you for your love, mercy, and grace! Amen!

No comments: