Saturday, January 24, 2015

I promise

J“The Lord, the God of heaven, who brought me out of my father’s household and my native land and who spoke to me and promised me on oath, saying, ‘To your offspring I will give this land’—he will send his angel before you so that you can get a wife for my son from there. (Genesis 24:7 NIV)

Promises, promises, promises! The art of making a promise, a commitment, is non existent. Oh, people still make the promises, they just don't keep them. It's easier to say yes and not do it, than say no because you know you can't do it.

I pick on politicians about this , but they are not alone. I have seen parents lie to there kids just to get them to stop asking. I've seen employers lie to get employees to work. It's just not popular to be honest. Integrity is an art form long ago replaced with manipulation, arrogance and pride. Many times it starts with a failure or a mistake. Then instead of admitting the mistake, a lie forms and replaces the truth. Not being able to admit faults and mistakes is a gateway to dishonesty.

The most important promise we make is to love and serve Jesus. It's a commitment that has an impact through eternity. The consequences of lieing to the creator of the universe is certain death. Beyond this statement of dedication to Christ are the commitments we make to our family, friends, and coworkers. Those commitment say a lot about our Christian life. They could be the reason someone comes to Jesus or looks at us as hypocritical and never comes to know our savior. Let your yes mean yes and your no mean no. 

Simply say yes or no. Anything more than that comes from the evil one. (Matthew 5:37 GW)

Thank you Lord, I am committed to you. I love you and promise to live my life for you. I am not perfect and will also promise to continue to fight my sinful nature and admit my mistakes. I will work to serve you and set the example for those that do not know you. I love you and praise your mercy and grace. amen!

No comments: