Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Bread

But Jesus told him, “No! The Scriptures say, ‘People do not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’ ” (Matthew 4:4 NLT)

I love fast food. McDonald's, Arby's, Wendy's, Taco Bell, you name it, I love it. I know all you healthy eaters are cringing. Fast food is my second love compared to a good old fashioned sandwich made on fresh bread. Give me peanut butter and jelly sandwich or a bologna, potato chip, and mayo sandwich on fresh bread and I am a happy man. I don't think these sandwiches are in more healthy than the fast food but I love them even more. I don't think I could make a diet on bread. As a matter of fact I found out that a "bread and water" diet is very unhealthy. Eating just bread can cause all sorts of health issues including hormone issues, infections, and immunity problems.

As a modern Christian we emphasize "going to church" or even serving Jesus. These are important and I don't want to minimize them. But, we can not just live on these acts. We also need to be deeply into the word of God. It is easier to do than you think. We now have the bible available wherever we go without having to carry around a book. Our smart phones make it available 24/7. You really have no excuse not to study the word of God every day. It takes only a few minutes. But' it does take some dedication and commitment. We need to draw closer to God. We can't do that without digging deep into his word. 

Thank you Lord for your word. I need to live my lie with your words in the center of everything we do. Keep my heart open to all the things you say to us through scripture. Thank you for your love and patience as we draw closer to you.

No comments: