Sunday, March 2, 2014

Where would you rather be?

We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord. (2 Corinthians 5:8 NIV)

This Hoosier winter has been ruthless. Extreme snow storms, deadly cold, and never ending winter forecasts have helped us label this the worst winter on record. It's painful to the body. I shoveled another 4 inches of snow today and my body knows it. I started my motorcycle while I was shoveling. The rumble helped me endure the miserable work. I have to keep reminding myself there is hope. Winter can't last forever. I would rather be anywhere but here. I love my home in Indiana, but right now I prefer to be in a Florida or Texas, Arizona, Hawaii, or countless other warm climates. I am sure all of us in Hoosierland would agree. But, we're here. We will endure. We will survive and winter will become just a bad memory.

As a Christian I have those days where I long to be in Heaven. The stress of the daily work grind, disagreement and discontent of colleagues, parents and students, relationships, and numerous other issues can weigh you down just like winter. It's easy to forget we have hope beyond this world. I love my life, but there are times I would prefer to just be with my Heavenly Father, in his kingdom. But until that day, I will serve. I will dedicate my life to Jesus. I will comit to share the gospel in word and deed. With the Lord's help we will make it until the day he comes back to get us. 

Come Lord Jesus! Save us!

No comments: