Thursday, March 6, 2014

Love and Respect your Pastor!

Do not be hasty in the laying on of hands, and do not share in the sins of others. Keep yourself pure. (1 Timothy 5:22 NIV)

I had to do some research on this verse before I commented. Frankly, I wasn't sure what it meant and I'm glad I did. This verse refers to the ordination of church leaders. My Dad went into the ministry late in life. He started preaching with the Gideons and then received a part time church charge. It seemed like forever for him to get into full time ministry. He worked hard at ministry. He loved and cared for his church members. I had the great privilege of being one of those church members with my young family. It was one of the best times in my life. During that time I finally realized his real dedication to The Lord. 

After having a father in the ministry I've come to greatly respect and honor pastors. I've even had some close friends in the ministry. A full time spiritual leader of a church has an incredible responsibility. The appointment from God comes with it a crazy, busy schedule, demands that can't go unfilled, a flock of sheep that strain you mentally/spiritually, and countless hours of prayer and study. The expectations are a perfect life with no visible weaknesses. It can be a stress filled existence if it weren't for the power of the God they serve. Yes, some buckle to the pressure and their sins are displayed as a trophy for Satan. But, most thrive and live meaningful and fruitful lives in ministry.

Praise God he has chosen these men and women to lead our churches. Dear Lord bless them abundantly. Give them time for peace and rest. Grant them perfect wisdom and discernment. Protect them from the evil one. Guide their thoughts and give them the ability to bring the lost to you. For all the blessings you grant them,double that for their spouses and children. May all of these families serve you as examples for all of us. Thank you Lord for bringing these people into our daily lives. Love them and bless them forever, Amen!

No comments: