Friday, March 14, 2014

I'm not timid!

EFor the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline. (2 Timothy 1:7 NIV)

What an interesting combination of personal characteristics. Power, Love, and Self-Discipline. It is so popular to portray Christians and particularly ministers as meek , timid, soft spoken people. It is a characteristic that is not biblical. Certainly being soft spoken is not necessarily a bad trait. Being soft spoken and timid can not mean you are a target for evil. On the other hand being powerful doesn't mean you are loud, boisterous, or arrogant. My vision of timid is lacking confidence, backing down even when you know you are right, or shying away from Fighting for justice. We are called to be confident, strong, and willing to sacrifice everythng for Christ. We can yield power in love and do it in a way that is self-disciplined. 

When we invite Christ to rule our lives we invite the Holy Spirit to fill us with his power. It's not the power of intimidation or arrogance. It's a power centered around the love of Christ and the discipline it takes to endure persecution. The power is equal to the power of our creator and a love equally as strong. We need to use those blessings for Christs Kingdom.

Praise God for his wonderful love and the character to bring the lost to him. Praise God I am  filled with His Spirit so that I do not have to fear. Praise God I can endure hardship, intimidation, and pain while I live my life for him because of the power he gives me.

No comments: