Monday, March 31, 2014

Confidence vs Arrogance

Let us examine our ways and test them, and let us return to the Lord. (Lamentations 3:40 NIV)

I've spent much of my life trying to give young people a confidence they can do anything. It's really a key part of our American culture. Young kids dream about being astronauts, the president, a fireman, a ballerina, or a dog.(yes, I have a granddaughter who thought when she grew up she could be a dog.) we tell them to dream big and reach for the stars. 

There is a downside to this "can do" attitude. 

Our country is full of people who think they can do no wrong and one of the greatest barriers for nonChristians is the idea of sin. We think so much of ourselves! We're proud of our accomplishments. The idea that we are not all that great or that we are sinners goes contrary to our culture. I am a sinner. The gifts I have in my life come from The Lord. My self confidence keeps me from seeing my weaknesses and faults. As a Christian I walk a fine line of living with confidence and being arrogant in the face of God. I can't take credit for the wonderful things in my life. The many blessings from my savior are GIFTS.  Nothing I have or have done comes from me. It all comes from The Lord. When am I going to see that?

I need to be a leader when it comes to seeing my own weaknesses. I can constantly remind others that my wonderful life is from the grace of Jesus. It's not me. It's not MY doing, but it's from Christ who lives in me. If we go through the early years of life thinking we can do no wrong, or survive without Christ, we are wrong. I need to be able to share that truth with love and grace. Praise God from whom ALL blessings flow.


No comments: