Monday, March 10, 2014

We don't know it all!

There is a way that appears to be right, but in the end it leads to death. (Proverbs 14:12 NIV)

A few weeks ago there was a very public debate between Ken Ham of the Creation Museum and Bill Nye "the science guy". I knew how this was going to end. The mainstream media claimed unequivocal victory for Nye. Being an educator is not easy for a Christian. Being a science teacher would be nearly impossible. I'll stick to Math! But if you want to hear my theory, here it is:

God created the heavens and the earth. He created all creatures and he created man, period. He did it in seven days, period. The Bible is the infallible word of God, period.

So where's the debate? It's when we look at the details, the proof, that it SEEMS we Christians lose.

 Not so fast! 

First of all I have to confess, I'm not a scientist. I can't debate Bill Nye's scientific knowledge or the knowledge of nearly any other scientist. What I can debate is the presence of Jesus Christ in my life and the indesputable evidence that there is a God. I don't pretend to know about the Big Bang, or the evidence of evolution. I agree that all of our centuries of knowledge dispute the existence of my God. All of our technology, our planet full of science experts ALL agree that the bible is wrong. I can tell you I don't care! I might even venture to ask a question:

"Have Scientists ever been wrong before? Has the world scientific community ever been wrong?

Have we ever been convinced, with science, a theory was indisputable, only to find out later it was wrong? 

The answer is definitely yes. We are sinful, imperfect humans. To think we have this all figured out is crazy. We use to believe the world was flat. We use to believe the sun circled the earth. We use to believe in the impossibility of flight. We are not always right. How can we claim with absolute certainty we're right now? Are we saying we know everything and nothing could possibly change in that knowledge from this point forward? Not even Bill Nye would claim we know everything we're going to know!

Bill Nye's evidence is so convincing. He is convinced of it from all the things we have observed and what we know. From Kepler to Galileo, to Einstein, to Bill Nye, our knowledge of the universe seems so vast and perfect. The problem, our knowledge is so very minute compared to the vastness and power of God. We don't understand some of the most basic concepts and are learning new things every day. Why can't we cure the common cold? Because we don't know everything. Why can't we cure cancer, diabetes, aging, or any number of human defects? Our knowledge is limited. WE DONT KNOW EVERYTHING! Our knowledge is growing and changing all the time. But, just when we think we have it all figured out, something new comes along. We don't know everything. I don't know everything. So how can we say we know this without any doubt? Simply, we can't!

I wonder why God doesn't reveal the truth to us. Why does he let this debate continue? 

I'll give you two more cents worth!

God doesn't want us to come to him because of some scientific formula that proves his existence. God wants us to come to him by faith. He wants us to take a step beyond the accepted theory. He wants us to believe with our hearts first. When we spend time with him, we see all thenproof necessary. Sure, it would be much easier to be able to share some secret proof of the truths in the Bible. It would be great to discover Noah's Ark, the Tower of Babel, or the garden of Eden. It would be indisputable if we could see the Red Sea open and swallow the Egyptians. God wants us to believe in his indisputable love which is seen when we accept Jesus as our savior. The proof is in our changed lives after that leap of faith. I love science and the excitement of discovery. I love the search for the perfect wisdom of our creator. That love doesn't come anywhere near the perfect love of Christ I see in my life everyday. Praise God for that love and grace. Praise God for the wonderful mysteries of his universe.

No comments: