Saturday, March 8, 2014

A Haughty Spirit!

Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall. (Proverbs 16:18 NIV)

Most of us know about pride. Pride can be a good thing. I'm proud of my daughters and the people they've become. Pride of self can really get you in trouble. If you want to take pride to a new level, you have "haughty". Haughty takes pride and adds to it arrogance and contempt. You know these type of people. They are never wrong and no one can match their skill or expertise. They look down their noses at the "little people" and place themselves above everyone. I have met people like this and do everything I can to avoid them.

As Christians we have to be very careful of pride and haughtiness. With our faith and assurance of eternal life it could be easy to look down on the unsaved. It would be easy to set ourselves on a pedestal of purity. Instead we must continue to grow in humility and selflessness. It is important to serve with a humble heart. We need to love all people and to live a life that does not place barriers between the faithful and the lost. 

Lord, help me maintain a pure heart. I know that all I am is because of you. All that I have and the life I lead is a blessing though your grace and not by my doing. Lead me in service to others and the ability to build relationships with those that don't know you. Forgive me for the times I look down on others and do not live your word in peace and love. Amen!

No comments: