Monday, September 28, 2015

Stop bashing the kids!

“One day some parents brought their children to Jesus so he could lay his hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples scolded the parents for bothering him. But Jesus said, “Let the children come to me. Don’t stop them! For the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to those who are like these children.” And he placed his hands on their heads and blessed them before he left.”
Matthew 19:13-15 NLT -- http://bible.com/116/mat.19.13-15.nlt

I am surrounded, every day, by the hope of the world. This hope can frustrate me immensely, they challenge me, they make mistakes, and they view life with jaded eyes. But, I love them and they do provide me with hope. They also are the true definition of compassion and kindness. I love it that nothing is easy with them and I like the way they challenge the status quo. What I don't like is the way they are constantly bashed by some people. Bashing young people is not new. Adults in the sixties hated our clothes, hair, and what we fought for. Adults of the 70's,80's, and 90's all hated the trends of young people. It's always been that way. We have this rose colored-view of how life was when we were young. Things haven't changed much. Kids are kids. Sure they play video games when we played tag. They watch Netflix when we went to the movies. The things they spend there leisure time on is different, not better, and certainly not worse than what we did.

Instead of criticizing young people, we need to teach them about Jesus. Instead of attacking there lives, we need to build relationships and show them Jesus. We show them with our own lives, not with words, threats and criticism. We show them with love not judgment. We show them by being Jesus.

Dear Lord, I praise you for the wonderful gift I have been given in teaching kids. I am blessed to be a part of their lives. Help me, Lord, to set an example you would be proud of. Help me to share Jesus by my words, but more importantly my actions. Help me to win their hearts for you! Amen!

No comments: