Wednesday, September 9, 2015

My fifteen minutes of fame will not be wasted!

“People from Jerusalem and from all of Judea and all over the Jordan Valley went out to see and hear John.” Matthew 3:5 NLT

Have you ever wondered why people flocked to see John? From everything we read in the gospels, he was a strange man, lived by himself, wore strange clothes, and was not afraid to offend anyone. Just ask the pharisees. So why were people attracted to this strange man? I can only think that he was so filled with the Spirit of the Lord and spoke the plain truth that people just couldn't help themselves. They weren't attracted by his personality or his dashing looks, they were captivated by the message!

I wonder how popular he would be today?

Today, it is so easy to gain your fifteen minutes of fame. All you have to do is post some quirky video on the internet and you will be a world wide sensation. We've seen it time and time again. Fame is fleeting. Even for John his fame was fleeting. But, he took advantage of every second he had to exclaim the coming of the Messiah. He took advantage of his "fifteen minutes of fame" to bring people to the truth. I can think of a multitude of people, even in modern times, that also made sure they shared the spotlight with Jesus. Tim Tebow is one of those people that definitely used his brief flirt with stardom to make an impact. 

As a teacher, I don't think I will ever be considered famous. But, in the eyes of my students, I am a significant part of their lives for a brief amount of time. I want to make sure I use that time for the kingdom of God. That might be a little tricky in the context of a public school, but it can certainly be done. It begins with setting the example by serving, not judging, just loving on my kids. My "ministry" at school is centered around compassion, building relationships, and yes, at the proper moment, sharing what I believe. I am allowed to share when they ask. I am obligated to love with no strings attached. I will be there for them. I will be Jesus in the classroom and through my actions, more than my words, I will plant seeds that will grow into a wonderful harvest for Christ!

My fifteen minutes of fame will not be wasted! What about yours?


No comments: