Friday, September 4, 2015

Honesty and Modesty

“O God, I beg two favors from you; let me have them before I die. First, help me never to tell a lie. Second, give me neither poverty nor riches! Give me just enough to satisfy my needs. For if I grow rich, I may deny you and say, “Who is the LORD?” And if I am too poor, I may steal and thus insult God’s holy name.”  Proverbs 30:7-9 NLT.  (http://bible.com/116/pro.30.7-9.nlt)

Two favors. What would I ask for? I can't say these two choices would be on my radar as I ask for favors from the greatest power in the universe. 

What should I ask for?

Honesty and modesty

The values of these two characteristics seem to be lost in the world we live in. While most people still preach honesty as the best policy, the words don't always match the action. But, modesty? I'm not even sure the word exists any more. It's not true in clothing. It's not true in our homes. It's not true in our cars. It's not true in our jobs and careers. Our new montra is "more is better". We are never satisfied. Greed is every where. Power is a lure into the evils of this world. Acquisition of THINGS, dominates every waking moment of our lives. I'm not immune. 

The surprise....... Honesty and modesty are inextricably linked. The search for things and power often leads us to dishonesty. When we are more worried about aquiring things and less concerned about people and relationships we don't care about who we hurt along life's path. Lieing, cheating, stealing, and hurting others are almost a demand when climbing the corporate ladder. It's sad. We need to change our focus. We need a favor from the God of the Universe.

Dear Lord, keep me focused on the things that are important. Keep me honest, modest, and worried only about serving others. My life needs to be about aquiring more souls for Christ and not stuff to fill my garage. I love you Lord and I need your strength, wisdom, and courage to walk the path you have set before me. Amen!


No comments: