Saturday, September 12, 2015

Jesus didn't use a pulpit!

“One day as he saw the crowds gathering, Jesus went up on the mountainside and sat down. His disciples gathered around him, and he began to teach them.”
Matthew 5:1-2 NLT.   (http://bible.com/116/mat.5.1-2.nlt)

I'm the son and grandson of a preacher. The gospel has been taught by my family for years. So, I can truly say I have witnessed a few sermons. One thing I never saw my grandfather or my own father do was sit while he was preaching. I'm not sure when the habit of standing behind a pulpit became the accepted way to deliver Gods word. It sure didn't start out that way. One of the most powerful sermons of all time was delivered while sitting down on the side of a hill. We might curse a preacher today if he asked to sit down.

Jesus was truly one of us. He would not want a "pulpit" to separate him from the ones he loved so dearly. As ministers of the word of God, we need to make sure we do not separate ourselves from the people who most need Jesus. It is so easy to make ourselves out to be "special". I'm not criticizing Pastors of churches who use pulpits. Obviously they have a practical function to hold bibles, notes, etc. But, I truly believe all preachers need to make sure they do not make themselves out to be above the world. My own pastor uses a small podium that is unobtrusive and practical. More importantly he does not speak to me from some ivory tower. He speaks to me like he were just sitting talking to me as a friend, as someone who is a part of us. He does not portray himself as a perfect person and doesn't demand respect, he earns it. My father and my grandfather were the same way. They were messenger of a perfect God, but they let everyone know they were imperfect people, flawed like the rest of us.

Dear Lord, thank you for my amazing pastor and the countless pastors that share your word. Bless them and speak to their hearts. Give them the perfect message to share with the lost. Keep them humble and real to the people they meet every day. Watch over them. Protect them and love them in a special way. Amen!

No comments: