Monday, September 14, 2015

Highway to Hell

““You can enter God’s Kingdom only through the narrow gate. The highway to hell is broad, and its gate is wide for the many who choose that way. But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it.”
Matthew 7:13-14 NLT.  (http://bible.com/116/mat.7.13-14.nlt)

The last couple of motorcycle rides I've been on we're loads of fun. But each of them had a part of the ride on "chip n sealed" roads. For those non-motorcyclists. A road that is resurfaced by adding fresh oil, then rock, is called chip n seal and It CAN be a little dangerous. When you add that hazard to narrow, winding, country roads, riding a motorcycle on extremely loose gravel can really be a big problem.  It's not like the"super slabs" that are smooth, fast and hazard free. In reality, the sleek highways are not nearly as safe as what you think. Just yesterday on a nearby highway there were two major accidents nearly at the same place and time. It seems whenever there is an accident on an interstate highway, it is deadly. These speeds and careless driver can really make driving on the highways even more dangerous than my little country roads.

The highway to hell seems so inviting. It is fast, smooth, and comfortable. In reality, our lives are more like a motorcycle ride. Their are hazards everywhere. We need to be prepared for every possible obstacle. If we cruise through life like we're ridding on a super highway, we are more likely to be on the highway to hell.  Not only is the gate to heaven narrow, the road getting to the gate isn't a superhighway. We need Jesus to help us navigate the narrow, winding country roads to arrive safe home. We need help when we tense up because of illness, financial hardship, and broken relationships.  We need to slow down, pay attention, and make sure we are prepared for life's ups and downs. We can't be prepared without Jesus. 

Dear Lord, I thank you so much for your protection while I ride my motorcycle. I am awed by your power and might. More importantly I thank you for guiding me through the hazards and obstacles I have met in 55 years of life. I know it is all you. I know it's not through my skill or anything I do. My safety and protection is only possible because I have dedicated my life to you some 40 plus years ago. Thank you Lord. I love you and praise you. Amen!


No comments: