Sunday, August 23, 2015

Why did I do that?

“The LORD’s light penetrates the human spirit, exposing every hidden motive.”
Proverbs 20:27 NLT. (http://bible.com/116/pro.20.27.nlt)

Why did I do that? This has been an all too familiar question throughout my life. I'm sure that's true for most of us with a conscience. Unfortunately when we get to that key question, the damage is done. Usually the damage is done through words. Once the words escape your mouth, it's too late. You can never recapture them. The consequences are set in motion. I have been on both ends of poorly chosen words. I've spoken them, with regret and I have had them spoken about me. 

Words are so powerfully destructive or so powerfully uplifting.

When I've been hurt, it takes some time to heal. I do heal, but the process is slow. When I've offended someone, I want them to heal quickly. I want the scars to go away. The best way I've seen to combat my loose tongue is to multiply my efforts to love the person I've offended. It can be tough and most people avoid that awkward situation. I recommend confronting that situation head on. Love conquers all. 

Even better than the healing power of love is the power of the Holy Spirit at eliminating the hurt before it occurs. If we let the light of the spirit chase away our hurt, our vengeance, and our hate, words of destruction will not be apart of our vocabulary. We will only build up. We will only speak of love and kindness. I need the Holy Spirit to keep my tongue in check. We need the power of Jesus to work in the hearts of people to eliminate the pain of poorly spoken words.

Forgive me Lord for hurting others and help me forgive others that hurt me. We can only do that with your love. Help us to mimic you and the way you handle those that hurt you and speak bad about you. Your mercy and grace should be our own goal. We love you Lord. We praise you and thank you for the joy in our lives.

No comments: