Monday, August 3, 2015

Easily offended!?

“We who are strong must be considerate of those who are sensitive about things like this. We must not just please ourselves. We should help others do what is right and build them up in the Lord. For even Christ didn’t live to please himself. As the Scriptures say, “The insults of those who insult you, O God, have fallen on me.” Romans 15:1-3 NLT (http://bible.com/116/rom.15.1-3.nlt)

Are you easily offended? Are you overly sensitive? 

I know people who are greatly affected by the words and actions of others. They are hyper sensitive to the remarks, actions, or inactions of their families, friends, and coworkers. I am not one of those people. I can't say nothing phases me, but over the years I have learned, by the grace of God, to ignore the "jabs" from others. I don't dwell on the comments, try not to hold a grudge, and don't let it affect my relationship with the offender. As a matter of fact, I have gotten into the habit of instantly praying for that person and our relationship. I am so amazed how this affects my attitude in a very positive way.

Yesterday an email was shared with a group of friends. It contained a pretty strong jab at one of the members of the group. The result: instant hurt feelings. I hate that it happened, we should all be careful what we say. But when something does offend, we can let it ruin our day or we can stop, pray, and with the grace of God, move on. 

People make mistakes, some intentional and others unintentional. We can't let those mistakes destroy relationships. We can't dwell on the negative. Instead we need to choose the high road, look beyond the rhetoric, and continue to love unconditionally. Our father in heaven does the same thing when he deals with me, a sinner! He could dwell on my sins, both intentional and unintentional. He doesn't, he chooses grace. He chooses to look beyond the flaws and love me. We need to do the same with our "flawed" family, friends, and coworkers. If we can follow Gods example, this world would be an awesome example of mercy and love! Praise God for his love!




No comments: