Sunday, August 2, 2015

Rolł Big Train!

“I am fully convinced, my dear brothers and sisters, that you are full of goodness. You know these things so well you can teach each other all about them.” Romans 15:14 NLT (http://bible.com/116/rom.15.14.nlt)

Today is the start of another school year. It's been 22 years since I started my SECOND career and joined the teaching ranks. Today our "family" at GHS reunites to prepare for another year. Yes, we are a family. We love like a family, we care for each other like a family, we argue like a family, and we hold each other accountable like a family. Our commitment to each other is second to none. Even though this family is a significant part of my life, it's not the reason I teach.

 I love our school leadership. They make the tough decisions that need to be made but I personally know how much they agonize over what is best for teachers, students, and the community. It is refreshing to know you have a leader that has a heart for people. But the school administrative team is not why I teach.

 I love this wonderful community we live. It is great being at a community school. The support of the community for our school is amazing. Our school is truly the center of Garrett. Sure they support the athletic teams, but they support the academics as well as the extracurricular activities. But, even with a great commnunity, they are not why I teach. 

I'm sure you can guess why I teach.

"I teach because I am fully convinced that the young people of our community are full of goodness and hope."

GHS has the absolute best students. 

I am excited to be with them. They have a passion for helping and caring for each other. They love to have fun, but they also work hard. I get to school pretty early each day and I love that many of our students like to get to school early and just hang out with teachers, and, of course, their friends. I've been at three different schools and the students at GHS are the best. As a teacher, I want to be a part, even if only a small part, in helping these great young people, filled with hope,  reach their potential. I know the hearts of the students at GHS. I know their passion to help the unfortunate. I know their passion to make a difference and I know their determination to making this world a better place. 

I look forward to teaching because it gives me hope that our future is not lost. I look forward to every moment of laughter, stress, joy, and sorrow. I look forward to renewing old and new relationships. I look forward to sharing my own passions for learning and fanning the flame of knowledge in my students. They always look at me weird when I exclaim the joy I have in learning, especially math. Yet, I have seen that joy spread. My students motivate me, challenge me, and support me in so many ways. I can't wait. Students arrive on Wednesday and I am excited to get another year rolling down the tracks! 

Roll Big Train!

No comments: