Thursday, August 27, 2015

Kill them with kindness

“If your enemies are hungry, give them food to eat. If they are thirsty, give them water to drink. You will heap burning coals of shame on their heads, and the LORD will reward you.”
Proverbs 25:21-22 NLT. (http://bible.com/116/pro.25.21-22.nlt)


I know you have heard the saying "kill them with kindness". This verse says the same thing. But it might be better to say, "Don't give your enemy a reason to hate you." We are put on this earth to serve others, not just our friends or loved ones. We are here to serve all. Find out what those who hate you need and help them get it. Don't judge. Don't criticize, just love on them.  It is easy to love those that return that love. It's not so easy to send love "one way". When people talk about you, spread rumors, and lies, it is easy to hate them or at the very least ignore them. 

We need to resist the urge to ignore and avoid our detractors. We need to intentionally show them the love of Jesus. That just can't be done from a distance. I'm not great at doing this so don't think I have it all figured out. But the Holy Spirit urges me to do just as this verse asks. I just need to act on that prompting more.

Dear Jesus, help me to treat my enemies with your love. Help me to serve all people not just the ones that love me. I know the only way to turn my enemies to you is through service and love. I need your strength and power in order to fulfill this verse. Give me the power as I go through my activities today. I praise you Lord. I praise you for your patience, mercy, and grace with my life. Amen!

No comments: