Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Wow, I need an outfit like that!

Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. (Colossians 3:12 NIV)

I sense a theme in God's message to me lately. Yesterday I wrote my thoughts on compassion. Now there it is again. What do compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience have in common. I think "clothe" ourselves is the key. Being in education, hanging out with youth, clothing is important. It's not only important to high school students, it's important to adults. I have a granddaughter that used to wear horses on all her shirts. I think it was third grade. One kid at school changed that. We like to be dressed in acceptable clothing. In many ways our clothing is our first impression. We want people to get to know us before they judge us, but that isn't likely. Our clothes make that first statement about who we are.

That's why God wants us to clothe ourselves in these 5 ways. He wants our Christianity to shine through our lives. All of these traits say we are more interested in service to our fellow man than ourselves. There is no room for selfishness. Our testimony grows out of how we treat others or how highly we think of ourselves. We need to share these traits as the keynote for our lives. We need to care about how compassionate, kind, humble, gentle, and patient we are. people should be able to see that in us before they see anything else. People should look and say wow, I need an outfit like that. Be clothed in a way that backs up your testimony and the life you live!

No comments: