Monday, September 16, 2013

Outside the Box for Christ!

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. (Romans 12:2 NIV)

During some down time between classes last week, I had a fun conversation with some students. The conversation was a little strange. They asked what I thought about "coffee dogs" or hot dogs soaked in coffee. At first I was repulsed by the thought. Soon I warmed up enough to say I would at least try it once. They were quite impressed I would even try it. It was an unusual request and I could have given the response everyone would give, NO! I think coffee dogs would be gross. I would play along just to satisfy curiosity.

Do you ever find yourself going against the crowd? Are you a nonconformist? I haven't thought too much about this, but I do like to go against the flow. Case in point? I ride a motorcycle, minister outside the church at unconventional places. I am trying to make a major change in education, and virtually my entire life has been spent doing things in an unconventional way. I married my wife right out of high school. Most do this because they have a child involved. We didn't.

God calls Christians to be different from everyone else. We are called to change the worlds system. We are asked to step out of our comfort zone to live our lives. We are not asked to live quiet lives hidden away in obscurity. Be bold, be unconventional. Go out and preach the gospel. Don't just preach to Christians or the "Safe" crowd. People are in need of Christ everywhere. Be creative live outside the box for Christ.

No comments: