Sunday, September 8, 2013

You can run, but you can't hide!

Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. (Psalm 139:7-10 NIV)

I have put over 16,000 miles on my new Motorcycle. I love riding it. It feels like a part of me when I ride. I have been so blessed with travels all over this country in 2013. I just got back from St.Louis and the welcome of our newest edition to the family. God has been with me the entire 16,000 miles. 

I can't remember a time when I tried to flee the presence of God. Instead I am surprised by this verse. I'm not saying I haven't been embarassed by some of my actions and I have felt distant from God. Those feelings are my own. God has never left me. But, the idea of fleeing God has never crossed my mind, til now! In some ways I do see people fleeing from God's presence. They view him as some vengeful dictator waiting to pounce on a mistake or sin. They avoid him like the plague as if they can avoid his judgment. What they don't realize, he is not held to a physical place like we are. He is everywhere at anytime. You couldn't hide, even if you wanted to. Just like he has been with me on all my travels, he is with all of us as we travel through life. I count on his presence and can't imagine running away. Even those who hate him are not far from him. They don't know it but he is close, just in case they decide to turn to him instead of away. He won't interfere unless he is invited in. But, he is always close by.

I can thank my parents for raising me with a great view of God. I have always known he is with me and I can't hide from him. I see him as a loving, but firm Father, who loves us dearly. If we let him, he will guide our lives and is a constant companion sharing in joys and sorrows. He is not to be avoided or run from. Instead we are to run to him! We are to jump in his arms and hold on tightly. I feel great sorrow and pain for people who don't know that. I feel sorry for those who don't realize how close he is. If they would just reach out, they would begin to experience his amazing grace.

No comments: