Monday, September 23, 2013

Keep a tight rein on your tweets!

Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless. (James 1:26 NIV)

I know we should not add things to the bible. I do want to take some liberty to paraphrase this verse: "those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their TWEETS deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless." 

As dangerous as our tongue is, our use or misuse of social media can be just as destructive. The principle is the same as for the tongue. We need to make sure our tweets, posts, etc.,match our faith. Our social media should build up, not tear down. It should further the kingdom of God, it should be no different than the witness from our mouth. Pictures, re-posts, retweets, all should go through our Christian filter. If in doubt don't post it. If our tweets keep even one person from coming to know Christ, we should be cast into the fire!

I would also include political messages. I have to say, I often post or retweet political rhetoric. Does this in anyway place a barrier for me to witness to others? Is God a conservative? Is he  a liberal? I think he is way beyond political ties. Yet, many times I act as if he is. Does that mean we can't hold those strong beliefs, or be politically active? NO, we just need to be sensitive to our tone and how that furthers his kingdom. We must be kind and thoughtful in everything we do, including posts on the worldwide web. 

No comments: