Tuesday, September 10, 2013

I'm guilty of murder!

How much more, then, will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself unblemished to God, cleanse our consciences from acts that lead to death, so that we may serve the living God! (Hebrews 9:14 NIV)

Have you ever had a guilty conscience?

Matthew McCordle had a guilty conscience and made this video confession:


I can't imagine making a mistake of this magnitude, driving drunk and killing someone. I have made mistakes in my life and some had a significant impact on my life, but nothing like this.  The good news, God sent his son Jesus Christ to wipe out the conscience for these types of acts. It may seem unfair that God would do this. Why should a guy like Matthew be freed from this guilt? Shouldn't he live in torment for the pain he caused? i have to admit, I feel he got off easy with a short, public video confession. Why would God forgive and forget? Because my God is a God of grace and mercy. He knows we have all fallen short. We have sinned both great and small. Jesus wipes all of it away. If we start putting levels to our sins, where is the line drawn. What sin is worse than another? I may not have murdered anyone. Have I ever missed a chance to bring someone to know Christ? That could be the same as murder. God makes it simple, he forgives all!

God not only helps cleanse the guilty conscience, he is also there to cleanse the mind of the victims. He frees them of the hurt and the loss, if allowed. The process of letting go for both victims and the guilty, is long and painful, but both can make it. They can release there pain, accept the guilt and move on. My guiltiest thoughts and actions are those that nailed Jesus to a cross. There is nothing more painful than thinking I put him on the cross with the nails in his hands and feet. Yet, he forgave me for that. He sets a high standard for forgiveness. Praise God!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This blog is great. I read the same story yesterday, and was intrigued. It is nice to see a follow up from a different perspective. Keep blogging because it allows Christians like me to keep life in perspective.