Friday, February 5, 2016

Power Corrupts

“When Saul realized that the LORD was with David and how much his daughter Michal loved him, Saul became even more afraid of him, and he remained David’s enemy for the rest of his life.”
1 Samuel 18:28-29 NLT
http://bible.com/116/1sa.18.28-29.nlt

I love seeing others succeed. I get no greater pleasure than to see my students thrive. I also really get "pumped" when I see people overcome obstacles. Watching someone struggle pains me deeply, but that can totally change if they defeat the barriers and come out victorious. So, I just don't understand the thoughts of Saul. He's a man of God. When he sees someone else chosen by God, over him, his ugly jealousy swings into action. He was not happy being out of the spotlight.

So many of us, myself included, love to lead. But if leading turns into the desire for power, things can get ugly. Much of our culture centers around the acquisition of power and as the old saying goes "power corrupts". I see all of these candidates on the political stage running for President, and wonder what they will REALLY be like running our country. I might be naive, but I think most people that start in politics do so with a great heart. They truly want to do good. As they see success, pride gets in the way. Pride feeds the desire for more adulation and they seek more power. As they seek more power their confidence and arrogance grows. Eventually they forget their beginnings. They trample on the people they love the most.

I don't want to be like Saul. He forgot his humble beginnings and being chosen by God. His power and position got to him. He could not celebrate the new successes of David. If I ever get to the point where I can not praise the accomplishments of others, even if they are at my expense, I have failed. My job is to support new leadership. My job is to help new leadership grow so they can eventually replace me. That's my job.

Dear Lord, I love you and celebrate all that you have given me. I know it is from you and not through my own power and strength. Help me, Lord, to always have joy for others and their accomplishments. Help me to support new leaders, encourage them, and provide quiet guidance to assure their success. Thank you Lord for all the joy in my life and the presence of your love, mercy, and grace. Amen!

No comments: