Thursday, February 18, 2016

Running Away

“But Jonah got up and went in the opposite direction to get away from the LORD. He went down to the port of Joppa, where he found a ship leaving for Tarshish. He bought a ticket and went on board, hoping to escape from the LORD by sailing to Tarshish.”
Jonah 1:3 NLT.    http://bible.com/116/jon.1.3.nlt



Did you ever run away when you were a kid? I did. I really never made it very far but I was determined to take off and leave my troubles behind. As I look back, my troubles were pretty small. As a kid, it seems like they are always big. As an adult, I have to admit, there are days I would just like to escape from it all. For me these thoughts usually coincide with the gap between Christmas and Spring Break. Yes, I long to escape to Florida, to the sugar sand beaches, the warm temperatures, and the peaceful sound of the surf. I want to escape the turmoil of every day life.

Oh Jonah, you are ME!

I have days where the battles overwhelm me. I have days where I try to change the world but it seems like I am fighting a losing battle. I want to escape. I want to run away from what God has called me to do. 

There is no running from God.  When I start feeling sorry for myself, when I start coming up with reasons NOT to fight the rising tide of evil in this world, I just need to remember GOD is in charge. I can't just turn my back on God. I can't ignore his call. I need to be his hands, his feet, his voice, in this world of darkness. If I turn my back on Jesus, who will go?  Who will serve the lost? God is calling me. He is calling you to Go. Go into the world and preach the gospel message. Don't run away!



Dear Lord, I praise you for my life. I praise you for YOUR wonderful grace and mercy. I praise you for the mercy, love, and grace only you can give. I ask your forgiveness for the times I run away from you. I ask your forgiveness for the times I have opportunities to share your love and don't. Lord, give me strength to fight the battle today and every day. Help me to fight the evil and the hate in this world. I can't do this without you. Amen!

No comments: