Friday, February 6, 2015

Devotion!

Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. (Romans 12:10 NIV)

How devoted are we to each other? Commitment used to be such a "final" concept. Marriage was the ultimate love commitment, "until death do the part". But with the crumbling of the family we have also seen the weakening of commitment throughout our lives. Employers are not nearly as dedicated to their workers as in the past. In our leisure we see people abandon teams to cheer for the "hottest" team of the moment. We certainly don't honor others more than ourselves. I've written before about our me society. I am amazed how many social media posts are so self serving, arrogant, and dangerously proud. 

We need to humble our selves before the Lord. We need to see ourselves as sinners only saved through grace. One of the best ways to do that is exalt him. Yes, start by praising God for his power, mercy, and grace. If we focus on him, we can't focus on ourselves. Another option is to focus on others. Prayers should not be a Christmas list of wants. Prayer should be focused on the needy and the lost. When I can drop down on my knees in humility with complete concentration on the needs of others, I can no longer be devoted only to me. 

Lord, thank you for helping me realize the value of humility. I praise you for my wonderful life. I praise you that even though I forget and drift back to "ME" you remind me of my sin and helplessness. Thank you Lord, I can not live this life without you directing my purpose.




No comments: