Thursday, February 5, 2015

Why?

During the days of Jesus’ life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with fervent cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission. Son though he was, he learned obedience from what he suffered (Hebrews 5:7-8 NIV)


I can relate! The most common question of God is why. Why do we have cancer? Why do we have orphans? Why do we have stress? Why? Why? Why? 

I can't even pretend to know the answer to the suffering of this world. The "pat" answer is to blame it on the sin of this world. Yep, I get it. So much of the worlds problems are caused directly by sin. But my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ overcame sin. So for those who have dedicated their lives to him, you would think, wouldn't suffer. But, they do. These verses give us a hint, not a complete understanding, of why. 

Jesus suffered. He is the Son of the most high and he was like me in that he prayed with cries and wailing. He suffered and through that suffering he learned obedience. Even Jesus suffered to learn obedience of our Heavenly Father.

 We are to learn obedience through our suffering.

I know it doesn't make complete sense to me, but if it's good enough for the son of God, it's good enough for me. When we are broken, broken so far down that we have to relinquish all to God, only then are we open to his commands. We are called to obedience not because of what we get. It's not a reward system we don't earn points by doing wonderful things. When things are going great, I obey God because I tie the blessings to my good works. But God wants us to be obedient even in times of pain and suffering. He wants us to pray fervent prayers, petition, shout, and scream for his help. But, mostly he wants us to get to the end of our rope and say," i don't care, even though the raging storm, I will obey you. I will be obedient even unto death"

Dear Lord, I know you hear our cries in the storms of life. I know you love us with an unshackled heart. Give comfort to those struggling. Lift their hearts with the knowledge you have not abandoned them. I fervently cry out to you for them. Hear them oh Lord!  Releave their aching hearts. In their doubt give them confidence in your path. Bless them in every possible way, right now.work your miracle of peace in their sleep and while they are awake! We love you Lord Jesus and know you will strengthen us. We know you are sovereign over our lives. Praise you for ever and ever Amen!

No comments: