Wednesday, June 25, 2014

It's not WWJD, it's WWIDT!

Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you. (Philippians 4:9 NIV)

Do you remember WWJD? "What would Jesus Do" was all the craze for awhile. It was a fad. My skeptical side tells me most the people that had those bracelets, probably, didn't really know what Jesus would do. The statistics shock me about how much time People spend reading the Bible. The religion news service released these statistics about people reading their Bible:

"If they do read it, the majority (57 percent) only read their Bibles four times a year or less. Only 26 percent of Americans said they read their Bible on a regular basis (four or more times a week)." 
So how can people claim to know what Jesus would do if they don't know what Jesus did? I have been doing daily Bible readings for about 13 years. It has changed my life. I have missed a few days here and there. I've even missed some blocks of time, but not for any extended periods. I started by reading through the Bible in a year. I did that for about 6 years. Then transitioned to deeper reading, writing my thoughts in a journal, and now blogging about my reading. Beyond, the actual reading I still have to work hard to apply every verse to my life. That's where I'm at right now. I'm not just asking "What would Jesus do?" I'm asking WWIDT, "What Will I Do Today?" The most difficult stage of my faith development is taking what I've learned and put it into practice. Reading the Bible is critical, but the most important step is taking those readings and living them! We need to take the actions of Jesus, Paul, Peter, Moses, David, and others from the Bible, learn from them and apply their life lessons to our own. The Bible is a great tool that applies directly to my life and yours.

Growth in Christ is a process. I'm not happy where I'm at, but happier than where I was. Praise God for his patience. Praise God for teaching me out of pure love and grace. Give me strength to take your example and make it my life!

No comments: