Saturday, June 7, 2014

STOP THE TEASING!

Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. (Colossians 3:15 NIV)

Sarcasm is dangerous! I love kidding with students, friends, and family. But, I know for a fact it can go too far. Many times "picking" on someone, teasing, and sarcasm ends with hurt feelings. It always starts out as fun, but continuous, relentless teasing and sarcasm can get old and eventually gets tiresome for the recipient. I cross that line way too often and I need to stop it!

We need to promote peace and building up others, especially our brothers and sisters in Christ, not tearing them down, even in jest. I will say that I have never been offended, but I know others that have and have even brought it up to me. I would like to tell those people they need to not take it so serious. I would like to say, "lighten up". I don't know anyone who  does this type of teasing that means it for harm, including myself. But, I also understand that after a while it can get old. If all you hear from someone is the verbal jousting, you start wondering if they really mean what they say. You start wondering if your own faith family loves you. Teasing and verbal harassment can tear a group apart, quickly.

It is said you need to say at least three positives to out weigh the just one negative in someone's life. I think this applies to teasing. We need to take time to demonstrate the love of each other. We need to say it, we need to act on it. We need to love each other with our WORDS and deeds.

So, stop the teasing, or at the very least build up more than you tease! Love your brothers and sisters as Christ has loved you! We are members of one body and we are to promote the PEACE OF Christ!

No comments: