Friday, June 13, 2014

Are you Coachable?

Whoever gives heed to instruction prospers, and blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord. (Proverbs 16:20 NIV)

I have enjoyed coaching students and athletes in my lifetime. I have had the great fortune of being around some really talented young people both through athletics and In the classroom. My fondest memories are with those young people that were coachable, those students that trust you enough to try new things. They let you push them into uncomfortable territory and are willing to fail to get better. I can't remember too many of the great ones that weren't coachable. 

I wonder how God would describe my coachability? Do I listen to God? Do I let God stretch me, push me into uncomfortable territory? Am I willing to fail to improve myself and further the kingdom of God? In education, I see so many of my colleagues unwilling to try new things, stretch themselves, and risk failure to grow. We either have an arrogance that we can't improve or we are paralyzed with fear of failure. As a professional educator or as a Christian, these two theories doom us to ultimate failure and missed blessings.

We all need to be coachable in all we do. We need to always accept instruction because we are not perfect and we need to grow.  God wants us to develop beyond where we are right now in ALL parts of our lives, jobs, faith, and relationships. I need to be open to the leading of his spirit and willing to be led by those coaches he puts in my life. Open your hearts, minds, body, and soul. Let Jesus coach you up!

No comments: