Monday, June 16, 2014

What do you love?

And he has given us this command: Anyone who loves God must also love their brother and sister. (1 John 4:21 NIV)

I love riding motorcycles, especially with my wife. I love traveling and exploring Gods creation. I love technology and all the cool things we can do with it. I love teaching and working with kids. I love spending time in ministry with my CMA family. I love summer time and the warm weather. I love taking care of my yard, growing flowers, and watching them bloom. I love a great sunset. I love camping and sitting around a campfire. What is it that you love? I know I use this word love in a rather flippant way. People say "I love your outfit, your hair, your car, your house, your, blah, blah, blah!" I am one of those people. 

It's not evil to love the "things" of life. But, when I get to what I really Love -- God, my family, my brothers and sisters in Christ, there is a big difference. In some ways I wish there was another word for these two types of love because there is a huge difference between the love I feel for my motorcycle and the love I feel for God. But, there's not so it's up to me to make sure I live my life in a way people know what is REALLY important to me. I need to put people in front of "things" in my life. Love is about relationships. I don't think the Bible ever mentions love in terms of anything except relationships. This is love, that God sent his Son to Earth to die for us. That's not the "love of things" kind of love. That's real Love!

Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. (1 John 4:7 NIV)

No comments: