Friday, June 13, 2014

God as Father

All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our flesh and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature deserving of wrath. But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. (Ephesians 2:3-5 NIV)

It's almost Fathers Day. I am a proud father. I have three wondeful daughters, two son-in-laws, 6 grandkids, and a wife who is my best friend. It may seem strange, but I wonder what my kids will remember of me after I'm gone. I know it seems a little vain. I want to be remembered well. I want to be remembered as someone who first loved The Lord, was devoted to his family and would die for them. I want to be remembered as someone who worked with passion and conviction, loved adventure, loved people, and was excited about life.  

I don't want to be remembered as the father who "talked" the dog into getting hit by a car, or who had to pull the car over on the Springmill Parkway to follow through on a threat of discipline. I don't want to be remembered as the angry father that found out his teenage daughter was pregnant. I don't want to be remembered as the father that brought fear to his daughters when they made mistakes or put undo pressure on them to run faster or work harder.

How do we look at our Heavenly Father? Do we look at him like a fat, jolly, Santa Claus? Do we look at him like the heavy handed tyrant that doles out discipline when we sin? Do we look at him as a God of mercy and grace or Father that sends pain and suffering out of his anger?

I have seen nothing but a loving Heavenly Father. I have seen a God that has shown ME mercy when I deserve wrath. I have seen a God that has brought me through my own mistakes to help me grow closer to him. I have seen MY Heavenly Father send his own son so that I might live. I have seen a Father that endured the pain of rejection and opened his arms when I came to my senses. He sacrificed all for me and continues to show that same love everyday. I love you Lord! I love you with all my heart! Thank you for directing my life in ways I could never understand! Tank you for being the perfect example of a Father. You are truly amazing! AMEN!

No comments: