Thursday, January 23, 2014

Sharing comfort!

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. (2 Corinthians 1:3, 4 NIV)

It's been 13 years since my fathers journey to Heaven. I remember it like it was yesterday. It was and still is such a great loss in our family. Since that day, I have had the opportunity to attend many funerals. Recently, I attended the viewing of a father of one of my students. It was a sudden loss and the devastation was intense for this family. I understood what they were going through. My Dad suffered a debilitating stroke. A month ago I made a hospital visit to a family that eventually lost their mother from a sudden stroke. I understood what they were going through. I have had plenty trouble in my life. I would not wish pain on anyone. God feels our pain. He knows what it's like to lose a son. He stands with us and comforts us when we go through troubles in life. We can use those experiences to comfort others including those that don't know Jesus. Those who do not call themselves Christians need special comfort. Sometimes our greatest witness to the lost comes from our ability to comfort them.

As troubles come in your life, you have two choices. You can either turn your hurt and loss inward or you can turn to Christ for comfort and compassion. If you can accept the comfort from the Son of God, you will have the opportunity to pass that support to someone else. It is a wonderful gift to pass on.

No comments: