Friday, January 10, 2014

Keep your head!

But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry. (2 Timothy 4:5 NIV)

A few months back I was having a conference with a student and parent that was not particularly positive. As happens so often in education, the parents were defensive and protecting their student. Oh, things have changed. Back in the day, my parents would have assumed I was guilty. There would be no plea deal, no hope for me and nothing but appreciation for the teacher who pointed out my shortcoming. The adult always got the benefit of the doubt. I long for those days and parents that support the teacher. After, the meeting, one of my coworkers commented how amazed they were at my ability to keep my cool. I can't really explain it myself because I really felt attacked. My only explanation is God. Whenever I go into a potentially difficult parent meeting, I pray. I pray for wisdom, discernment, patience, and words to properly convey my message. I am amazed at the power of this little prayer.

Teaching is one of my ministries. I am so worried about representing my faith in a positive way through difficult times. I can't say I'm perfect in doing this, but I can say I have had some extraordinary experiences. 

If we work to "keep our heads" even through difficulty, God is faithful. If we turn every little aspect of our lives over to him, he will support us. It's not just the major crisis we need to seek God's help. We need to seek him through all things and in all circumstances. Praise God he loves us so much and cares about us so deeply, he is always with us!

No comments: