Monday, January 13, 2014

Have you ever been persecuted for Christ?

However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name. (1 Peter 4:16 NIV)

When have you come the closest to being persecuted as a Christian? I have lived a pretty sheltered life. Sure I've heard coworkers poke light hearted fun at Christians. I really never heard anything very offensive. I certainly have heard reports through the media and on the news that were hurtful and downright abusive toward Christs followers. I'm not really talking about those things. 

I'm asking if you have ever felt threatened or worse because you were a Christian?

I can't say I have ever felt like my life was being threatened. I've attended some pretty rough biker events where alcohol, drugs, and sex were rampant. I met a young man this summer who said his mom brought him. He didn't want to be there. His mom thought he should experience the "party". He told me that his mom hated it that we were there. He, even though he was not a believer, defended us to his own mom. He was persecuted more than I was for wanting to hangout with those Christians. This non Christian "seeker" was more bold than most Christians.

I'm sad to say that most Christians shelter themselves from persecution. It is so much easier to witness in "safe" places. Christ didn't confine his ministry to church like environments. He went to the sick, the outcast, the enemy, the sinner, the possessed. He did not fear for his life. He feared more of losing the eternal life of others. 

I praise God he has protected me when I attend biker events in ministry. I ask all followers of Christ to be bold. Go to areas where it makes you feel uncomfortable. Go to places where you are a minority and share God's love. Put pressure on your Church to serve as missionaries, not just across the globe, but in dark places right here in our own country. We must penetrate the darkness with his love and when necessary suffer persecution to save the lives of others. We are the hands and feet of Christ in all the world!

No comments: