Thursday, January 9, 2014

Robin Hood

And one of the company said unto him, Master, speak to my brother, that he divide the inheritance with me. And he said unto him, Man, who made me a judge or a divider over you? And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth. (Luke 12:13-15 KJV)

I want the poor to be taken care of. I want them to have jobs, education, and the same quality of life that I have. HOWEVER, I do not believe in the "Robin Hood" method of wealth redistribution. 

Very few people look at these verses closely. Jesus is talking about coveting what your neighbor has.The philosophy of entitlement and redistribution is not what Jesus had in mind. We need to provide opportunities for the poor to help themselves, not just give handouts. I completely respect the CEO's of businesses. They worked hard for their money and the companies they work for. It is ridiculous to believe they should give up all their wealth. Sure, as a Christian of wealth you have the means to support the poor and should. I have to admit I am jealous of wealthy, at times. But I know it is envy more than need. Jesus was talking about the covetousness of the man ASKING for the wealth and NOT the excessive possessions of the wealthy man. In all fairness we don't know if the man asking for the money was considered poor. Jesus considered this request as a form of greed. Jesus didn't feel it was his place to step in and divide the excesses of the wealthy man.

You can not legislate Christian giving. As a matter of fact, our government keeps trying to limit the outreach of our Christian Heritage. Christianity is being attacked in many areas of life and specifically through the arms of our government. The birth of our savior has been attacked. Our society has made it a "sin" to follow Christ just like it's been made a "sin" to be wealthy. I'm not in the top 1%. I'm a middle class, school teacher. I have all that I need and will do all that I can to help the poor to get out of their poverty. I want the wealthy to do the same thing. If we want them to share more, we should work harder to win their hearts to Jesus. A Christian heart is a giving heart. Let's stop trying to ridicule and belittle the wealthy. Our government should be working hard to promote the Christian spirit, not trying to destroy the faith that leads to serving. We should love the wealthy just as much as the poor. Let's love the wealthy and lead them to Christ. Many already are and give huge amounts of money to help the poor and needy. It is not a sin to be wealthy. It is a sin to covet!


No comments: