Thursday, January 30, 2014

Be a faithful and wise manager

The Lord answered, “Who then is the faithful and wise manager, whom the master puts in charge of his servants to give them their food allowance at the proper time? (Luke 12:42 NIV)

In my career, before education and even for eleven years in education, I was a manager. In my experience managing people and resources for companies and schools the key was taking care of my people. Any school or business is only as great as their weakest employee. As a manager it was always critical to do everything in your power to make your people better. More often than not that was easier if you treated them with compassion and set the example. I would never ask someone to do something I wasn't willing to do. I would never go on vacation to leave the work to someone else during peak times. I was the first to arrive and the last to leave. I was more frugal with others money than my own. I would fight for my employees to make sure they had all the tools to be successful. I never asked for exceptions or special treatment as a manager. My dedication was for the company or the school. My customers or students were the focus of all my decisions. I enjoyed my time as a supervisor immensely. Now that I sit back and serve quietly, I think I'm a better person knowing what those in leadership go through on a daily basis. I loved my role then and love it now just the same.

God is the ultimate manager. He alone sets our leadership role model. God has provided us with all the support and tools we need to be successful. He sacrificed his own son for us. Even now he provides love, guidance, and wisdom through the Holy Spirit. God never abandons us to work alone. His support comes in everything we do. We need to do the same in our culture. We need to set the example, out work others, be more compassionate, be more loving. 

Praise God for his patience and dedication to making me a better person. Lord I know you provide resources not just for my selfish gain. You provide them for me to further the kingdom. Thank you for trusting this sinner even when I don't deserve it. Praise a God for this wonderful life of service to him. May I be an example for others as your are the standard for us. We need to love like you do and serve like you do. 

No comments: