Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Blind Runner

Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law. (Psalm 119:18 NIV)

Many years ago I was running a 5k race in a wooded nature reserve. To this day it is still one of my favorite races. I was about 2 miles into the race when I came upon a blind runner. The only reason I knew he was blind is that he had a tshirt indicating he was blind. I ran up beside him and started a friendly conversation. As he and I were talking I tripped over a tree root. How ironic that I tripped and the blind man didn't. We had a good  laugh.  He explained to me that he ran by seeing only patches of light and dark. He literally ran toward the light and PICKED UP HIS FEET!

How fitting a story for this verse. Even those of us with keen sight need help with our vision. Like the cliche says, sometimes we can't see the forest for the trees. We may think we see everything there is to see, but when God opens our eyes, we really find out what we've been missing. We need to work hard to run toward the light. It takes focus and concentration. There are so many things in life to distract us. Those distractions keep us from the blessings God intended. Even us Christians will trip on some roots. We need to learn to focus on the light and pick up our feet. We can do that by constant prayer, studying Gods word, and worship with our brothers and sisters. We can do that b serving others and searching out the lost.

We are not in this race alone. God is with us. He is there to help pick us up when we trip and fall. He is there to provide guidance and direction. He is there to celebrate when we win and encourage us when the race gets long. Praise Gid for his love and the wonderful race of life.

No comments: