Monday, August 19, 2013

I'm not good with names!

“I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— (John 10:14 NIV)

I love and hate this time of year at school. We are entering week #2. We spent a lot of time last week team building and getting to know each other. With 62 students I really struggle getting to really know them. I first try to learn their names. I'm not good with names. It seems to take forever for me to learn student names. I come up with little tricks to get around knowing their names right away. It buys me time. But, I want to get beyond names and really know them. That is where the real work is.

How many people do you know that profess knowing God? How many do you think really spend the time getting to know him? That's where the real work is. Most people never get beyond Sunday School and Church. Those are both key parts of the life of a believer. But, there is so much more. My life, really getting to know God, has been filled with cycles. Sometimes I'm on fire and really get into studying and communicating with God. Other times, I am Luke warm at best. I want to know the shepherd. I learn new things nearly every day when I seek them. 

"Dear Lord, fill my heart with desire for you and to know more about you, your love and your grace. Praise God for the ability to know the creator of the universe."

No comments: