Thursday, September 11, 2014

"I'm Not giving up on you!"

And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved; for on Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there will be deliverance, as the Lord has said, even among the survivors whom the Lord calls. (Joel 2:32 NIV)

I have the great joy working with teenagers. I don't always get the best and the brightest. I love getting these kind of kids. I love taking the kids no one else wants, helpings them see some success, and watching them thrive. It brings so much joy to my heart to see them work hard. I have found, in over twenty years in education, if you can get kids to believe, they can do anything. Most unsuccessful students have a terrible self-esteem. They often have no friends, are socially awkward, and have very little in the way of parental support and leadership. So, when you give them that support and unending patience, they will grow in leaps and bounds.
The key is letting them know you will never give up on them. The you must follow through. Most poor performing students don't want to fail. They have no hope. They have no way out. My job is to give hope to teenagers.

God never gives up on us. He will accept us into his kingdom even until the last days. He will accept us like the prodigal son. He provides hope and a way to eternal life. He will treat me like one of my special students. He won't give up and will be with me forever. That kind of grace is just the grace I want to show others. Praise God for his grace, love, and patience with me. I don't deserve it, but he doesn't care! He loves me anyway. He will never change.

No comments: