Sunday, May 11, 2014

Control?

Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. (Matthew 28:18 NIV)

I'm sitting here waiting for the storm to hit. Yes, it's spring time and thunderstorms will be the norm for the next several months. It's just another sign of life marching on. I love it.

God is in charge. I have often said I have given control of my life to God. This verse reminds me how wrong I am. God has given Jesus authority over all things in Heaven and earth. He is definitely in charge. This view  that we Christians have granted Jesus authority over our lives is simply ridiculous. We can not give something that we do not have to start with. If you think about your life, how much do you really control? God is in control of all things before we invite him to be a part of our lives. He is in control now and he will be in control forever.

In the short term I may not recognize the true authority of God and his son. But, my lack of recognition doesn't mean it is not real. I may think I'm in charge, but we will all find out who's really in control. Just because I don't recognize the police department as the authority over traffic safety, doesn't mean I can speed and get away with it. Sure I can speed, I can have the illusion of setting my own speed limit, but in the long run, I will pay for that arrogance. Ignoring the authority of Jesus doesn't mean I rule my own life. I can give the illusion of my own control, but when I die, the reality will become very clear.

Praise God for his wondeful love for me. I rest in the knowledge that God is in control. I yield to his control. I want nothing more than to be in his will. Thank You Lord for caring enough that you sacrificed all for me!

No comments: