Wednesday, February 12, 2014

There is no "I" in TEAM!

He must become greater; I must become less.” (John 3:30 NIV)

I am an assistant girls basketball coach at my high school. We are having a wonderful season, 21-0, I can truly say the most obvious reason is we are a true TEAM. Our motto has been TOGETHER! It is true that everyone has a role and accepts it for the greater good of the team. We have some great individual players. We don't have one STAR, the team is the STAR! Everyone contributes, the junior varsity players have to sacrifice themselves every practice as the SCOUT team. The parents, community, and school are active supporters. We couldn't be undefeated without them playing that key role. It's really refreshing to see that kind of devotion to a team.

Our society is full of MEism.(I'm sure that wasn't a word until now). Selfishness is one of the greatest character flaws found in people today.  Life is not about me. Life is about becoming less important and God becoming more. I really think this is one of the greatest barriers to people turning their lives to Christ. As a Christian, God must be first, others second, and ultimately you must be last. Some people just can't handle being second, let alone the least important.  This is true in more areas than just Christianity. Teachers should not be the center of the classroom. It should be more about the students, what there needs are and less the teacher. Athletic teams should be great examples of selflessness. Everyone should know their role with no one more important than another. The same is true in business. A good boss knows he/she is nothing without the employees. They must be there to help get the most out of each worker, sacrificing themselves to make that happen. I wish our politicians could figure this out. They and their parties are less important than this nation and it's people. 

God must be our focus in all we do. Whether in word or deed we should serve The Lord and his purposes. I am the president of my Christian Motorcyclist Association Chapter, but it's not about me, it's about serving the lost and witnessing to the power of Christ. It is so easy to lose track of our mission for Christ. It is so easy to let pride and selfishness rule our lives. We must stay focused on him.

Lord Jesus, please forgive my selfish flaws. I know how great you are. Please help me keep that truth in perspective throughout my daily walk with you. It's not about me. It's about your son coming to Earth to save me. Thank you Lord for your grace and wonderful mercy. Amen!

No comments: