Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Imitate the right things

Dear friend, do not imitate what is evil but what is good. Anyone who does what is good is from God. Anyone who does what is evil has not seen God. (3 John 1:11 NIV)

They say imitation is the greatest form of flattery. It might be true but we need to make sure we are imitating the right things. I have been fortunate to have some great mentors in my life. As a new high school athletic director I had Herb Resler. I tried it imitate him. He always had a great way of building relationships with people. I have had great principals that I wanted to be like. Kim Lobsiger, Brent Lehman, Matt Smith were and are great role models and I want to imitate them. I have been around some great coaches and they all had some characteristics I wanted to have. The person I am is a combination of these great people I've had in my life. None of them were perfect. There were good and bad traits of all of them. I tried to use the bad traits as examples of what not to do and I tried to imitate the good.

I fall far from the mark, but I also try to imitate Christ. Through constant study of the word of God, I continually get a clearer picture of who he is. I want to be like Jesus. I know I have a long way to go and will never really get there, but we should all strive for that goal.

 Please Lord help me be someone that others try to imitate. Help me to be the type of leader at school, in ministry, and with my family, that imitates Christ. Use me for your purposes, guide my words, thoughts, and actions so that others can see Christ through me. I love you Lord. I praise you for your love and patience with my weaknesses. Continue to mold me in your image. Amen!

No comments: