Sunday, February 2, 2014

A confession

In his distress he sought the favor of the Lord his God and humbled himself greatly before the God of his ancestors. (2 Chronicles 33:12 NIV)

I have a confession to make.

I'm not always right. If I were being really honest, I would say it's no better than a fifty fifty chance that I'm right. I am pretty stubborn (maybe that's my second confession) and it leads me to having a difficult time admitting I made a mistake. So, to humble myself before anyone, especially God, is pretty difficult. Just like Manasseh, it usually takes distress to force me to admit my error. 

Beyond my stubbornness to see my mistakes, is the thought of seeking favor after I just made a mistake. That's exactly what Manasseh did. He and his people thought they knew more than the creator of the universe and ignored God. They quickly found out they were wrong. So, they asked for Gods favor! That might be one of the most arrogant acts in the bible. 

I do the same things all the time. If I ignore Gods word and sin, I always turn to God when facing the consequences. I sound just like the stubborn Manasseh from the Old Testament. I can fix all my problems or distresses by listening then following The Lord. Yes, most of my problems in life are due to my stubborn attitude that I know better than God. I clearly don't. Acting like I do forces me to come humbly back to The Lord and ask his favor. My life would receive so many more blessings if I would start by going to God. 

Lord help me to do just that!

No comments: