Saturday, February 22, 2014

The End!

Well, we knew it would end at some point. Our girls basketball team ends the season with a 23-1 record and my coaching career has also come to an end. Being a part of this team has been one of the high points of my 20 year career in athletics.  I started coaching within the first days of being hired at Whitko High School. I look back fondly at my assistant coaching positions in varsity, jv, and freshman football, middle school girls, freshman and varsity assistant basketball, and assistant track. I also am very proud of my head coaching in Cross Country and Track along with my time as an Athletic Director at two great schools.  I loved coaching and will miss it. But, it's time to spend my athletic time as a Grandparent. I have such great memories!

In my 20 year coaching/athletic career, I can distinctly remember 3 teams that I will never forget. Each of these 3 teams were successful and had developed such a bond, no one wanted the season to end. We all loved each other and even to this day would do anything for each other.

#1 - Garrett Boys Cross Country - My first job as a Head Coach was Garrett Head Cross Country Coach. It took a couple years, but we finally started winning with a young group of talented runners. We spent so much time together. All summer long, we ran together, we went to camp together, trained during the winter, and froze together every track season. I built some of the best relationships of my life with those boys. Our first real winning season, we were coming back from winning the Snider Classic (due to some really strange circumstances). I was sitting at the back of the bus with the team. The season was almost over. To a man, they all expressed the sadness that the season was coming to an end. It is one of the most proud moments of my life. Eventually, we were the FIRST team to qualify for Regionals in Garrett CC history. Those boys did it 3 straight years and earned all sorts of honors.

#2 - 8th/9th grade Basketball team - South Adams High School -- As athletic director you never have a difficult time finding someone to coach a winning team. Everyone thinks they're an expert. As Athletic Director at South Adams, I could not find a coach for a team of 8th graders that just couldn't win. So, I coached them. I remember our second game of the season, we were actually IN the game. The players were so excited. We got our first win. From that point on, they began believing we could win. I coached them again as Freshman and we had a winning season. I love those guys. I have never had a group work so hard and improve so much.

#3 - 2014 Garrett Girls Basketball team - Today we ended a great season. Sure everyone would love to be 23-1, win conference tournaments, season championship, and sectional championship. We have had others actually achieve more in terms of championships. None were as talented or as good a TEAM and none of them with the great record. This group of girls was special. But, that's not the best part. They really liked each other. It wasn't just 3 or 4 of them that hung-out. THEY ALL spent every moment together and loved it. They might be the most coachable group of teenagers I've ever been around. There was no room for jealousy, selfishness, or pouting. It is sad to have people doubt the talent and not understand the true meaning of TEAM.

I will never forget this season. I really thought I had the chance of experiencing a Basketball State Championship. I have experienced IHSAA State Cross Country, Track, Wrestling, and Swimming competitions as both coach and athletic director, but never State Basketball or Football. It was a dream. The dream will go unfulfilled, but the memories will replace that in time. Thank You Coach Lapadot for allowing me to be a part of your great team. Thank You Railroader Nation for your support and the great memories. I will miss it, but I will always be proud to be a Railroader!

No comments: