Monday, February 3, 2014

A Godless Society won't take care of the Poor!

For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, (Matthew 25:35 NIV)

It's up to me!

If this verse doesn't hit you square in the eyes, nothing will. It is clear we are called to serve those in poverty who can't take care of themselves. We are to provide the necessities of life. But, isn't it strange it doesn't say anything about giving our money. I know a lot of people who will pay for a meal, provide a warm room, or fuel for a car, but won't give money! I am included in that. I also don't want my government to redistribute my income. It doesn't help to give it away. My friends on the left will claim us conservatives aren't practicing real Christian service. Yet, I contend just giving is not enough. We need to go beyond giving handouts that are fleeting at best. We need to provide real ways to escape poverty, real jobs, real opportunities. Our giving needs to be practical. We need to give, mostly through private groups like churches, because they do the best job at getting people real help. The government can only efficiently provide a stopgap contribution. It's short term. Unfortunately our welfare state has trained many able bodied Americans to live off handouts, long term. We need to fix the system.

Yes, it's truly up to me to provide service and support for those who need it. I will do that in the best way I know how. But, I do not need to be forced, I will do it out of love and charity, not any other reason. I will also hold my country accountable to long term fixes for the poor. I will make sure that we will provide steps out of poverty, not by stealing from others, but creating opportunity to improve themselves.

Lord , help us to recognize our need to serve. Help our country to focus on giving freely and developing a relationship with Jesus. Those two things are inexplicably intertwined. You can't force either and expect giving to be at a rate which is greatly needed around the world. True Christian Charity is the only long term solution to the worlds war on poverty. A Godless society will not give!

No comments: